Friday, August 28, 2009

Kid Delivered!

We made it to Rose-Hulman in Terre Haute today, finally. It took a week, with stops and visiting. We could probably do it in less time, but I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Anyway, we got Patrick settled into his dorm, met his roommate, and wandered around campus a bit. About dinner time he was ready to be on his own we guessed, so putted on down the road to our campsite. We'll see him again tomorrow for lunch and orientation activities, then dinner and...

You know, I haven't been very emotional about leaving him here until today. As I watched him become part of the college scene, I could sense his excitement and anticipation. And I could begin to feel that sense of sadness that comes when someone is ready to move on. I guess the reason for 2 days of parent orientation is designed to let us down a little easier. I know all the reasons and benefits, and I can see how this is a perfect place for him to grow and learn, and I can rationalize my feelings - but when it comes right down to it, I'm probably going to cry my eyes out tomorrow.

Jean and I will begin our next phase of this trip as we go on to Indianapolis on Sunday. The truck will be a little lighter. We can eat mushrooms and Mexican food if we want. We won't have that sense of urgency to get somewhere. We can move stuff from the camper to the back seat. But, it won't be the same without his funny comments and opinions on the state of the world. It's a good thing Skype was invented I guess.

That's it for tonight. I'm still processing photos, and hope to post some soon. Take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment