Saturday, September 5, 2009

Lake Geneva, WI

One of my goals on this trip was to meet some of my Flickr contacts.  We went to Chicago - Arlington Heights to be exact - to do just that.  There we met one of the most amazing young ladies I've ever had the pleasure to get to know.  Her name is Felicia, and she has had quite an amazing life.  Rather than trying to repeat that story, I would encourage you to read how she describes herself. (http://www.flickr.com/people/feesfotography/, http://feliciareneephotography.com/, http://www.littlestheroesproject.org/Littlest_Heroes_Project/Home.html)  She is only 18, but has overcome and accomplished some many things in her life.  It is an honor to call her a friend.  When I get home, I'm going to help her with this project in the Oregon area.

After visiting with my Flickr contact Felicia in the Chicago area, we journeyed through the road construction and traffic of northern Illinois for as long as we could stand it.  RV parks are few and far between here.  We found one in Volo, IL for the night.  It was quite a place - there were probably a few hundred permanent residents and lots of paid activities if we wished to participate.  We didn't.

Yesterday, we traveled a whole 50 miles!  We intended to go through Lake Geneva, WI, but ended up staying.  We found a beautiful campsite at a state park, and are going to stay for 2 nights.  When we got there, they only had 3 sites left so we figured we'd better stay put.  The lake is very nice, clear water with lots of fish.  The town is a resort area and the vacation spot of many folks from the Chicago area.  One local resident told me that he appreciates the money, but not the manners and driving habits.  I would have to agree.  The town has its way of extracting funds from the visitors though.  I got my first parking ticket in over 30 years for being about 1minute over the meter.  $12.00 on a well spent lesson I guess. 

The town is very crowded today.  I'm sitting in the local library overlooking the lake as I write this.  They have free WIFI access which I haven't had in a few days.  Jean went off shopping.  There are lots of great - and probably spendy - shops here.  The local beach swimming area looks inviting, but it costs $6 to use it.  We went in the lake last night at the state park, for free.  The water is about 72 or so, and quite clear.  There were lots of bluegill and a few perch swimming there with me.

Once we are done here, I think we will head on up through Madison, WI and on towards Minneapolis/St. Paul.  I have posted some more photos on my Flickr site (http://www.flickr.com/photos/johndej/), but I'm only as far as Terre Haute I think.  One of these days, I'll get caught up - maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment